The Department of Finance requires a range of specialist reviewers to undertake Gateway Reviews and Implementation Readiness Assessments. Being an Assurance Reviewer represents a unique opportunity to work on challenging, complex programs and projects across government and ultimately contribute to strategic public policy outcomes.
A Review Team usually consists of one Review Team Leader and three Review Team Members. Assurance Reviewers are selected for their extensive skills, expertise and relevant experience, and may be sourced from the public and private sectors.
The Department of Finance invites registrations from public sector officials within the Australian Government, State or Territory jurisdictions to participate in the Australian Government Assurance Reviews framework as Assurance Reviewers.
As part of a team of four independent reviewers, public sector Assurance Reviewers have a unique and valuable development opportunity to:
- Contribute their skills, experience and expertise to some of the most important, challenging and diverse work underway across government
- Provide independent advice to other entities to improve delivery confidence of major programs and projects
- Build capability and develop new and applied skills in program and project management
- Work alongside experienced private sector practitioners
- Network with peers across government
- Share learnings with colleagues and apply learnings to challenges within their home agency.
“A very good process, which gave insight into the manner in which another department addresses challenges. I look forward to participating in another one.”
- SES Band 2
“Very positive process for not only project/program assurance, but for learnings across the Commonwealth.”
- SES Band 1
“I found it rewarding to see how previous (Gateway review) recommendations had been implemented and the value that the entity had received from the process.”
- SES Band 1
Register as an Assurance Reviewer
Suitably experienced public sector officials employed substantively at either Senior Executive or Director level may register their interest by completing and submitting the following registration form to the Assurance Reviews Unit, Department of Finance.
- Registration form [30 KB]
Participation on an Assurance Review
The Assurance Reviews Unit consults with the sponsoring entity for each review to ensure an optimal mix of expertise among the review team. Consideration is given to factors such as:
- Reviewers’ background, skills and experience relevant to the program/project
- Reviewers’ knowledge and expertise relevant to the review Gate/Stage
- A degree of continuity of review team members for successive reviews
- Potential sensitivities or conflicts of interest.
Public sector reviewers identified for possible engagement on an Assurance Review will be contacted by the Assurance Reviews Unit to determine availability. Reasonable incidental expenses incurred by public sector reviewers are reimbursed by Finance, noting that salary costs are met by the reviewers’ employing agency.
Preparation for an Assurance Review
Public sector reviewers are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the guidance material available on the Finance website – Australian Government Assurance Reviews (RMG 106).
A briefing on the Assurance Reviews process for public sector reviewers can be arranged by the Assurance Reviews Unit.