The diagram identifies the seven greenhouse gases relevant to the target and public reporting and categorises the common sources of these greenhouse gas emissions by where they occur in the supply chain of the responsible entity.
The seven gases are:
- Carbon dioxide (CO2),
- Methane (CH4),
- Nitrous oxide (N2O),
- Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs),
- Perfluorocarbons (PFCs),
- Sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), and
- Nitrogen trifluoride (NF3)
The three categories of emission source activities are as follows:
- Scope 1 is direct emissions from entity facilities and company owned vehicles,
- Scope 2 is indirect emissions from purchased electricity, steam, heating & cooling for own use; and
- Scope 3 is all other indirect emissions, including from leased assets up and down stream.