GovLink is a cost-effective solution to enable secure communication between Commonwealth entities across public infrastructure.
GovLink (formerly FedLink) provides secure, encrypted and trusted communication across the internet. This allows the Commonwealth to transmit and receive information up to the security classification of PROTECTED.
Following an open tender procurement, Finance has appointed Verizon Australia Pty Ltd to build, maintain and support GovLink for an initial period of four years with potential extensions, at Finance’s discretion, to a maximum term of 10 years.
On 15 April 2004, the Australian Government directed all Financial Management and Accountability (FMA) agencies to protect their data transmissions by using FedLink or an equivalent protection system.
GovLink uses authenticated, encrypted links between participating entities to create a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) across the internet. An accredited certificate authority provides digital certificates and the public key infrastructure necessary for a scalable and manageable VPN. GovLink is designed to allow government entities to securely share information conveniently and cost effectively.
Agencies already connected to GovLink will be able to access the new site directly.
Please note, the FedLink is only accessible to agencies that are already connected to FedLink.
Agencies connected to GovLINK can now use the GovLINK Portal
Update on FedLink migration to GovLink
The design and build phase of the GovLink Transition project have recently been completed with the successful migration of a number of FedLink Agencies to the replacement GovLink secure communications network under the pilot program.
The following Agencies are now migrated to GovLink but remain able to securely communicate with Agencies still on FedLink:
Department of Education and Training Lead Gateway
- Department of Education and Training
- Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency
- Australian Public Service Commission
- Australian Research Council
- National Vocational Education and Training Regulator
- Department of Employment (gateway host)
- IP Australia
- Office of the Fair Work Building Industry Inspectorate
- Office of the Fair Work Ombudsman
- Safe Work Australia
- Seafarers Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Authority
- Workplace Gender Equality Agency
Certified Australian Gateway Environment (Verizon)
- Australian Communications and Media Authority
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
- Australian Federal Police
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre
- Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions
- Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation
- Department of Communications and the Arts
- Department of Health
- Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
- Future Fund
Department of Defence
Over the next six months the agencies remaining on FedLink will be migrated to GovLink. Planning for the GovLink migration is underway either directly with Agencies that manage their own gateway and FedLink encryptor router or with Service Providers who manage Agency internet gateway environments. At the end of the GovLink Transition (scheduled end March 2018) the legacy FedLink network will be decommissioned.