Use of Ethanol Blended Fuels

E10 Policy

On 22 September 2005, in response to the Biofuels Taskforce report, the fleet introduced a range of measures to promote the biofuels/ethanol industry in Australia including that “the Government will demonstrate its confidence in ethanol blended fuel by encouraging users of Commonwealth vehicles to purchase E10 where possible.” The Department of Finance has been tasked with implementing the fleet-related recommendation.

Availability of Ethanol Blended Fuel and E10 Sites

Ethanol Blended fuel is available in Australia as:

  • E10 - a blended fuel consisting of 10 per cent ethanol and 90 per cent Unleaded Petrol;
  • E5 - a blended fuel consisting of 5 per cent ethanol and 95 per cent Unleaded Petrol; and
  • E85 - a blended fuel consisting of 85 per cent ethanol and 15 per cent Unleaded Petrol.

As with 'normal' petrol, E10 and E5 are available as either Unleaded Petrol (ULP) or Premium Unleaded Petrol (PULP). E10 ULP is suitable for use in the majority of (non-diesel) vehicles in the Government fleet. E10 PULP may be used where the vehicle manufacturer recommends the use of PULP (and usually applies to high performance engines). E85 has only very limited availability and is only suitable for the Holden VE Series II.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries [] publishes information provided by vehicle manufacturers about the suitability of E10 in their product ranges.

Fuel cards are available on request from sgfleet by contacting 1800 009 082 or your Entity Relationship Manager.

Please note that your fuel card has been programmed to purchase the type of fuel recommended for your vehicle by the manufacturer (eg Unleaded petrol or Premium Unleaded petrol).  Prior to purchasing a different fuel type, your fuel card may need to be reprogrammed.  This can be arranged by contacting sgfleet on 1800 009 082 or your Entity Relationship Manager.

Please consult the manufacturer’s website or your sgfleet Relationship Manager if you are uncertain about your vehicle’s recommended fuel type.

Frequently Asked E10 Questions

Q. Is my Entity required to buy E10?
A. On 22 September 2005, the fleet introduced a policy that encouraged drivers of Commonwealth vehicles to use E10 where possible.

Q. How can I buy E10?
A. E10 can be purchased from selected United Petroleum, BP Australia, Shell Australia, Mobil, Caltex/Ampol/Bogas, South Australian Farmers Fuel, Freedom Fuel, Neumann Petroleum and Liberty Oil outlets. The following links provide the locations where E10 is available:

Q. What charges apply to the Motorcharge Card?
A. Due to the commercial sensitivity of this information it cannot be reproduced on this website. Please contact the Australian Government Fleet, or sgfleet on 1800 009 082, or your sgfleet Relationship Manager.

Q. I already have a BP Card and a Shell Card. Is it OK to use BP and Shell rather than others retailers of E10?
A. Yes, that's fine.

Q. I organised a United Card when the E10 policy was first announced - but now BP has opened a site nearby. Do I need to continue to buy United?
A. No. If there is a preferable non-United E10 site, simply return the United Card. The important thing is to continue to buy E10.

Q. Is my agency able to obtain reports about its procurement of E10?
A. Yes. Monthly fuel reports can be obtained by contacting your sgfleet Relationship Manager.

Q. Can I mix E10 and Unleaded Petrol from fill-to-fill?
A. Yes. E10 and Unleaded petrol can be mixed without any negative impact on vehicle performance.

Would You Like To Know More?

If you have any questions relating to the E10 policy or related issues please contact the Australian Government Fleet, or sgfleet on 1800 009 082, or your sgfleet Relationship Manager.

Back to top

Contact for information on this page: Australian Government Fleet

Last updated: 09 June 2015