A key objective of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act) is the implementation of an enhanced Commonwealth government performance framework.
The enhanced Commonwealth performance framework
The enhanced Commonwealth performance framework aims to improve the line of sight between what was intended and what was delivered. Commonwealth entities and companies are required to prepare corporate plans at the beginning of the reporting cycle. At the end of the reporting cycle, entities are required to produce annual performance statements. Corporate plans and annual performance statements, together with the Portfolio Budget Statements and annual reports are the key publications of the enhanced Commonwealth performance framework.
The Rule, guidance documents and Finance Secretary’s Direction that govern the application of the key elements of the performance framework include:
- The PGPA Rule (Sections 16E, 16F, 17AA – 17AJ, 17BA – 17BF, 27A, 28A – 28F), which addresses the minimum matters to be included in entities’ and companies’ corporate plans and annual reports, and entities’ annual performance statements.
- Resource Management Guidance on the following topics:
- RMG-130 Overview of the enhanced Commonwealth performance framework [ 1.3MB]
- RMG-130 Overview of the enhanced Commonwealth performance framework [ 944KB]
- RMG-131 Developing good performance information [ 1 MB]
- RMG-131 Developing good performance information [ 1.16 MB]
- Quick Reference Guide – RMG 131 Developing good performance information 
- RMG-132 Corporate plan for Commonwealth entities [ 1.6MB]
- RMG-132 Corporate plan for Commonwealth entities [ 2.1MB]
- RMG-133 Corporate plan for Commonwealth companies [ 163KB]
- RMG-133 Corporate plan for Commonwealth companies [ 403KB]
- RMG-134 Annual performance statements for Commonwealth entities [ 1.4MB]
- RMG-134 Annual performance statements for Commonwealth entities [ 691KB]
- RMG-135 Annual reports for non-corporate Commonwealth entities [ 2.1 MB]
- RMG-135 Annual reports for non-corporate Commonwealth entities [ 985 KB]
- RMG-136 Annual reports for corporate Commonwealth entities [ 1.6 MB]
- RMG-136 Annual reports for corporate Commonwealth entities [ 901 KB]
- RMG-137 Annual reports for Commonwealth companies [ 1.3 MB]
- RMG-137 Annual reports for Commonwealth companies [ 622 KB]
- The Finance Secretary’s Direction that sets out mandatory performance information reporting requirements for Portfolio Budget Statements.
- The guidance which provides detail on how to present performance information in Portfolio Budget Statements.
Guidance relating to the requirement for Commonwealth entities to keep records that properly document and report the entity’s non-financial performance:
Guidance on outcomes and programmes
For budget purposes, entities are still required to have outcomes and programmes. Entities developing and amending:
- Commonwealth outcome statements, should have regard to the Outcome Statements Policy and Approval Process [ 468 KB]
- Commonwealth programmes, should have regard to the Commonwealth Programmes Policy and Approval Process [ 409 KB].
For more information about the performance framework, including resources to assist with developing performance information, current consultations and upcoming Performance Community of Practice events, go to Public Management Reform Agenda (PMRA) website.
Last updated: 09 February 2017