Discretionary Financial Assistance

The Commonwealth Government has powers to provide discretionary financial assistance. In general, this assistance may be granted where it is considered that there is a moral responsibility to provide assistance, rather than a legal responsibility.

There is no entitlement to assistance under these mechanisms.

The Department of Finance is responsible for assessing requests for discretionary financial assistance that are found within the PGPA Act.

In addition, the Department of Finance provides policy guidance for the Scheme for Compensation for Detriment caused by Defective Administration (CDDA Scheme). Claims under the CDDA Scheme are managed and investigated by the relevant non-corporate Commonwealth entity.

Contacting the Discretionary Payments Section

You can contact the Discretionary Payments Section from Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm (AEST).

  • Phone: 1800 227 572 (calls from mobile phones are charged at mobile phone rates)
  • Email: sfc@finance.gov.au

Last updated: 03 January 2018