Travel Related Information

Comcover International SOS

International SOS is the Commonwealth's contracted overseas medical and travel assistance (OMTA) provider for employees of Comcover Fund Members.  Comcover Fund Members include all entities within the General Government Sector.

International SOS works from more than 700 locations in 70 countries to provide services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  International SOS offers a worldwide network of assistance centres, clinics and health providers, local expertise, preventative advice and emergency assistance during critical illness, accident or civil unrest.

Guide to International SOS services - Travel bookers, travel managers and travellers are encouraged to access the resources provided by International SOS prior to undertaking travel.

International SOS App – a downloadable application for compatible iOS, Android, Windows and Blackberry mobile devices, which includes contacts for help, advice and support while you are overseas.  The application is available from relevant app stores at GovDex [external link] website.

If you have any queries please contact the Comcover team at or call 1800 651 540 or visit

Smart Traveller

The Smart Traveller website [external link] hosted by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website states;

"Whether you are travelling overseas to visit family, as a tourist, for business or to live, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade encourages you to register your plans with Smart Traveller before you leave Australia. The registration information you provide will help DFAT to contact or find you in an emergency - whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or family emergency. It may also be used to pass other information to you such as important travel advice updates, notice of elections and information on other matters relevant to travellers and expatriates."

Your information is strictly protected by the Privacy Act 1988 [external link]. To ensure this information is kept safe during transmission the Department uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Firewall technology.

Travel Insurance for Official Travel

Comcover provides travel insurance for persons whose travel has been authorised by a Fund Member entity.  The insurance cover for authorised travel includes baggage and personal effects within Australia and overseas and also covers necessary medical expenses incurred overseas.

Any person arranging travel should speak to the person responsible for their entity's insurance program to ascertain details of the travel insurance provided through Comcover and to submit any claims that might arise under the travel cover.

The current terms and conditions for travel insurance are available for perusal on the Comcover website.  Please note that the Statement of Cover is reviewed annually to reflect the needs of Fund Member entities, so the terms of cover may change from time to time.

See current travel insurance.

How can the Department of Finance, Travel Arrangements Sections assist you?

What does Finance do?

The Department of Finance's Travel Arrangements Sections supports entities and facilitates the achievement of efficiencies and savings by: 

  • managing the Deeds of Standing Offer and primary relationships with travel services providers;
  • oversee a governance framework that support the strategic direction of the WoAG travel arrangements;
  • conduct formal contract management reviews analysing service provider compliance with the requirements of the Deeds and the delivery of services to Australian Government entities;
  • assisting entities with the resolution of any ongoing issues;
  • maintaining travel policies that set out requirements for achieving value for money when selecting, booking and approving official air travel;
  • maintaining dedicated Help Desks for agencies to seek and obtain guidance and information;
  • providing regular updates to all entities on the travel industry;
  • conducting tri-annual Entity Travel Forums;
  • providing individual entity training on request;
  • distributing a regularly updated Air Travel Reference Guide to all entities that details the airfares available under Phase 1 and the related fare conditions; and
  • distributing a bi-monthly information newsletter called 'The Flyer'.

What do entities do?

  • manage the individual contractual relationship with QBT and the airlines;
  • undertake regular reviews of TMC performance;
  • meet with QBT at appropriate intervals to discuss your entities's travel needs, service delivery and analyse entity travel data;
  • monitor compliance with WoAG travel policies; including LPF and IBF policies;
  • establish and monitor compliance with department-specific travel policies;
  • analyse and critique entity travel performance including common destinations, average ticket price, types of air fares used and classes of air travel; and
  • always seek to derive further efficiencies in delivering and administering your entities's travel program.

Information on Diplomatic and Official Passports

The Diplomatic and Official Passports website is hosted by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the website states;

"Diplomatic and Official passports are issued only to people conducting diplomatic and official government business, and are restricted to people in specific categories and roles.  Diplomatic and Official passports are issued to facilitate the travel of people who are employed by or acting on behalf of the Australian government. Diplomatic and Official passports, in themselves, do not confer on the holder any special privileges or rights. Individual countries may confer, at their discretion, certain rights to holders of Diplomatic and Official passports".

For further information on Diplomatic and Official Passports, please visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website [external link].

Last updated: 15 December 2017