The Department of Finance is seeking expressions of interest to serve as the Chair and Members of the Independent Communications Committee (ICC).
Independent Communications Committee – role
The ICC provides independent review of Australian Government advertising campaigns with budgets over $250,000.
- ICC is responsible for providing advice to Chief Executives/Secretaries of Commonwealth Departments and Agencies as to whether a campaign is capable of complying with Principles 1–4 of the Guidelines on Information and Advertising Campaigns by non-corporate Commonwealth entities.
Campaigns are reviewed against the following principles:
- Relevant to government responsibilities
- Presented in an objective, fair and accessible manner
- Objective and not directed at promoting party political interests
- Justified and undertaken in an efficient, effective and relevant manner.
The Committee meets at least monthly, with an average of 20 meetings a year. Meetings are generally two hours with additional preparation time.
The Chair has the additional responsibility of signing a Letter of Compliance which is published on the Department of Finance website once a campaign is launched, as well as leading the meeting.
Skills and experience
ICC members need a broad range of skills and experience. Previous members have had experience in communications, governance, business management, law, as board members and as senior public servants. Not all members need to have experience in advertising and communication roles.
Senior roles in the following disciplines would be highly considered:
- Senior public service management roles
- Senior governance roles
- Senior policy and program delivery experience
- Senior legal roles
- Experience serving on Boards
- Senior business management experience
- Senior specialist communications practitioners
- Senior academics within communications and marketing disciplines.
Appointment and remuneration
The Minister for Finance appoints the Chair and Members to the ICC.
The appointments will be for a term of up to three years.
Remuneration will be provided to Committee members on a per diem, all-inclusive basis.
|Chair||$2,200 per day and the rate of $275 per hour for preparation time and meeting attendance.|
|Members||$1,500 per day and the rate of $187.50 per hour for preparation and meeting attendance.|
Applicants need to provide a one-page overview of their expertise and summary of the skills they would bring to the role of Chair or Member of the ICC and a resume.
Applications need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 31 March 2023.
Applicants can be located anywhere in Australia with the option for online meetings.
Finance will keep a database of suitable applicants for future vacancies.
By completing an expression of interest you are consenting to your information being provided to areas within Finance and Ministers responsible for appointments.
Your personal information is subject to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act). Your personal information will not otherwise be used or disclosed without your consent, other than as required or authorised by law. Personal information will not be disclosed overseas. You have the right to access and correct records of your personal information held by Finance.