Training and support
The following training and support is to help officials:
- understand their roles and responsibilities within the Commonwealth Resource Management Framework
- use or manage public resources in accordance with their duties under the PGPA Act.
For all officials – foundational resources
For specialists – training resource on specific topics
- Budget process and preparing new policy proposals
- Fraud awareness
- Grants management
- Reporting and accounting
- Central Budget Management System (CBMS)
General training and support for all officials
Provides an overview of the PGPA Framework: its legislative components and the structure and system of government in Australia. This training includes:
- on-demand training webcast - Introduction to the PGPA Framework (2 hours)
- RMG-001 Commonwealth Resource Management Framework Companion.
Finance provides a range of resources to help officials understand and comply with the PGPA Act:
- on-demand training webcast - PGPA Act – Fundamentals for officials (2 hours)
- four short eLearning modules:
- Introduction to the PGPA Act
- Duties of officials
- Officials’ responsibilities to manage public resources
- Spending relevant money
- RMG-001 Commonwealth Resource Management Framework Companion
- brochures, posters and a video.
The risk management training courses are designed to increase awareness of risk across the Commonwealth public sector and encourage better practice in public sector risk management. Officials can:
- self-register to complete the Introduction to Risk in the Commonwealth eLearning course at the Comcover Learning Centre
- attend a risk management workshops delivered by Comcover
- use Finance's panel of training providers to tailor and deliver risk management training to officials in their entity.
Technical training and support on specific resource management topics
Officials may refer to:
- the content from the Budget Process – RMB Part III (or use Finance's panel of training providers to tailor and deliver RMB training to officials in their entity)
- Information about the Budget process on the Finance website.
The Fraud Awareness eLearning Training Package helps officials to understand the requirements in the PGPA Act and the PGPA Rule. This eLearning module has been developed by the Attorney-General’s Department and is currently available through the Commonwealth Fraud Control Govdex Community.
For further information about the Fraud Awareness eLearning Training Package or for access to the Fraud Control Govdex Community, contact email@example.com.
- short courses on better procurement practice. These courses are conducted periodically as demand requires. Online courses are also in development. Course schedules, other future procurement events, topical procurement developments and Commonwealth Government procurement employment opportunity news are available in the digital newsletter, The Procurement Bulletin. Register here to be included on the mailing list.
- the Commonwealth Contracting Suite(CCS): an online contracting document builder for procurement under $200,000. The CCS features built-in contextual help.
Finance publishes Grants News, a quarterly publication to assist officials in Commonwealth entities working in grants administration. Finance also provides the Commonwealth Low-Risk Grant Agreement Template.
For officials in Chief Finance Officer (CFO) areas, Finance holds the bi-monthly CFO Forum to provide updates from key areas within Finance on current reporting and accounting issues impacting on Commonwealth entities.
Central Budget Management System (CBMS) training provides training for staff of Commonwealth entities who use, or will have to use, CBMS. Training sessions are scheduled according to the budget process timetable and user demand.
Last updated: 21 December 2016