Commonwealth Property Management Framework
The Commonwealth Property Management Framework (the Property Framework) establishes the principles for the efficient, effective, sustainable and ethical use of property resources and applies to property leased or owned by Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997 (FMA Act) agencies
Figure 1: The policy and legislation relevant to each property transaction is dependent on the determination to lease, own or dispose of the property. The figure above shows the different policy and legislative elements for each option.
* This is not an exclusive list and other legislation may apply.
The Property Framework was enhanced in September 2011 to better inform decisions on the effective and sustainable management of the Commonwealth's property needs.
The enhancements to the Property Framework include the application of cost-benefit analysis methodologies on a whole-of-life basis when assessing options to own, lease or divest Commonwealth property. The enhancements replace the previous policy, the Australian Government Property Ownership Framework.
The Property Framework is comprised of a range of policies that apply to different components of the property management process supported by separate guidance material. These include:
- Overview of the Commonwealth Property Management Framework - which provides an overview of the Property Framework under which FMA Act agencies govern and undertake their own property management.
- Commonwealth Property Management Guidelines - which set out the Government's policy for the management of property owned and leased by the Commonwealth including the requirement for FMA Act agencies to have a property management plan and to report specific data on properties leased and owned.
- Property Management Planning Guidance - assists FMA Act agencies to produce property management plans.
- The Flexible and Efficient Workplace Design Guidance
- Property Management Circulars - Finance circulars relating to property management.
- The Australian Government Property Data Collection - articulates the Government's reporting requirements for property data.
- Guidance for the Two Stage Capital Works Approval Process for Australian Government Construction Projects - articulates the Two Stage Capital Works Approval Process and assists FMA Act agencies in navigating this process.
- Whole-of-Life Costing for Commonwealth Property Management - provides guidance for agencies when estimating whole-of-life costs for property and capital works projects.
- Legislation and Policies that Interact with Property Management [ 188 KB]
- Legislation and Policies that Interact with Property Management [ 164 KB]
- Commonwealth Property Management - Frequently Asked Questions
- Commonwealth Property Management Framework Placemat (Diagram) [ 221 KB]
Further assistance with each element of the Property Framework can be sought through PropertyFramework@finance.gov.au .