Voluntary and Other Acquisitions
Acquisitions commonly occur by a commercial lease or by purchase of property available in the market. These commercial transactions include:
- lease of office space to accommodate Commonwealth functions;
- purchase of residences to accommodate staff; and
- transfer of Commonwealth-owned property between agencies.
No special process is involved with this type of commercial transaction, although such transactions require authorisation under the Lands Acquisition Act 1989  .
On occasions an authority may need to acquire, for a public purpose, an interest in land that is not available in the market. These 'off-market' acquisitions may occur by negotiated agreement or by compulsory process.
- Acquisitions by agreement require a pre-acquisition declaration as set out in section 40 of the Lands Acquisition Act 1989.
- Please see Compulsory Acquisitions for further information about the processes involved.