Australian Government Investment Funds
How can this site help you?
These pages provide information on the Australian Government Investment Funds (the Funds) such as:
- the purposes of each fund;
- their operational and governance arrangements; and
- their enabling legislation, including associated legislative instruments.
There is also information regarding the Future Fund Board of Guardians’ involvement with the International Forum of Sovereign Wealth Funds  (IFSWF) and the Board’s application of the IFSWF Santiago Principles  to the Future Fund.
Detailed information on the investments and operations of the Funds can be found at the Future Fund website .
What are the Australian Government Investment Funds?
The Australian Government Investment Funds currently comprise of the Future Fund, the Nation-building Funds and the DisabilityCare Australia Fund.
The Future Fund is a long-term investment fund that is designed to enhance the ability of the Australian Government to discharge unfunded superannuation liabilities expected after 2020, when an ageing population is likely to place significant pressures on Government's finances.
The Future Fund Act 2006 stipulates that money may not be withdrawn from the Future Fund until 2020 except for the purposes of meeting operating costs or unless the Future Fund's balance exceeds the Target Asset Level.
The Nation-building Funds are investment funds that are designed to provide financing resources for critical areas of infrastructure.
The DisabilityCare Australia Fund is an investment fund which will reimburse Commonwealth and State and Territory Governments for the costs relating to the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
All the Funds operate under the same governance arrangements with:
- the Future Fund Board of Guardians having responsibility for investing decisions and managing the funds’ assets;
- the Future Fund Management Agency handling administrative and operational functions in relation to the funds’ investments; and
- the Department of Finance advising the Minister for Finance on various aspects of the funds, including policy, legislative and governance matters; and handling payments from the Nation-building Funds and DisabilityCare Australia Fund.