Financial Reporting and Accounting Policy
This website contains links to the relevant accounting policy and financial reporting requirements for Australian Government Entities and central government reporting. It includes Finance Minister's Orders (FMOs) and related Policies and Guidance for Financial Reports such as FinanceBriefs.
Accounting Reporting Policy
- 2012 - 2013 Finance Minister's Orders for Financial Reporting (incorporating policy and guidance) and summary of changes
- 2012 - 2013 PRIMA Documents
- FMOs User Guide
- The User Guide provides guidance on applying the FMOs and PRIMA to prepare financial statements.
- FMOs and PRIMA documents from previous reporting periods
Accounting Policy Guidance
- Accounting Guidance Notes
- Changes to Standards Relevant to 2011–12 Financial Statements
- This document will assist entities in disclosing the impact on their financial statements of new accounting standards for 2011-12 and future years, as required by AASB 108 Accounting Policies, Changes in Accounting Estimates and Errors. It will be issued in July each year. Agencies are responsible for ensuring that standards that are issued subsequent to this document, but prior to the signing of the financial statements, are disclosed as appropriate.
- Standard Parameters for use in 2011-12 Financial Statements (December Update)
- Standard Parameters for use in 2011-12 Financial Statements (December Update) [ 39 KB]
- Standard Parameters for use in 2011-12 Financial Statements (December Update) [ 31 KB]
- As per section 43.74G of the 2011-12 FMOs, the LSL - Table of Probability Factors and the LSL - Table of Discount Factors will be published on Finance’s website no later than July on an annual basis.
- Third Balance Sheet Illustrative Example [ 39 KB]
- This Illustrative example will assist entities in preparing their financial statements when they apply an accounting policy retrospectively or makes a retrospective restatement of items in their financial statements, or when they reclassify items in their financial statements as required by paragraph 10 (f) of AASB 101 Presentation of Financial Statements. Whist every care has been taken in the presentation of this example it is intended as guidance only. Specific queries in relation to the requirements of AASB 101 should be directed to accounting policy contacts.
- CFO Forum
- CFO Forum email list
The CFO Forum email list is used to communicate accounting and financial reporting issues to Commonwealth Government entities. To add representatives from your organisation to the mailing list, email: CFOForum@finance.gov.au
- Annual and monthly reporting processes
- Inter-agency transactions
- Functional Allocation
- Consistency and use of accounts
- Publication Standards
- Fiscal Balance
- Underlying Cash Balance
Finance is committed to the accessibility publishing guidelines of WCAG2.0. Due to constraints in authoring tools used to develop content on this page, originally published September 2011, the page does not conform to the minimum WCAG2.0 Level A requirement. Finance is progressing toward full WCAG 2.0 conformance in line with the Web Accessibility National Transition Strategy. Current issues on this page include: pdf files without alternative formats. Please contact the Accounting Policy Branch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a different file type for accessibility reasons.
Contact for information on this page: Financial Reporting and Accounting Policy Contacts