Abolition of a Department/Agency
In the case of a department/agency being abolished, the ABN of the entity is to be cancelled. The relevant agency, prior to abolition, should follow the procedures as outlined below:
- Contact Finance to inform the Department of the proposal. This is to be done by emailing the details to LRB@finance.gov.au
- Download the 'Cancellation of Registration' (Nat 2955) application form  from the ATO's website.
- Australian Government agencies can also obtain this form by telephoning the ATO LMG team in Chermside on 1300 130 902.
- Complete the form, which is to be signed by the authorised contact person in your agency
- The ATO will require documentary evidence of the Australian Government's decision to abolish the department / agency.
- Post the signed form, together with any other relevant documentation, to the following address:
Business Registration Services
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 9100
Chermside QLD 4032
- Alternatively, the signed form and other relevant documentation can be faxed to the ATO's LMG team on (07) 3213 8844.
- Email copies to LRB@finance.gov.au
Contact for information on this page: LRB@finance.gov.au