Preliminary Government Response to the Recommendations of the Independent Review of the Australian Government's Regulatory Impact Analysis Process
– Public Consultation
The Australian Government has had processes for assessing the impact of new and amended regulation since 1985. It has continually improved and strengthened the framework, most recently in 2010 when the Government announced changes.
The current arrangements are set out in the Government’s Best Practice Regulation Handbook and commenced operation on 1 July 2010.
The Government committed to reviewing the framework within two years.
The Minister for Finance and Deregulation agreed in December 2011 that an independent review be conducted of the arrangements. The Review was conducted by Mr Robert Milliner and Mr David Borthwick AO PSM and was handed to the Minister on 20 April 2012.
The Review recommends significant changes to the operation of the framework following broad consultation. The Government proposes to undertake further consultation for approximately one month, to seek views concerning the specific recommendations of the Review before coming to a final view concerning revised arrangements.
Written comments should be provided by 9 November 2012 to the Department of Finance and Deregulation, John Gorton Building, King Edward Terrace, PARKES ACT 2600, or by email to DeregulationPolicy@finance.gov.au.
- Independent Review of the Australian Government’s Regulatory Impact Analysis Process [ 1.10 MB]
- Independent Review of the Australian Government’s Regulatory Impact Analysis Process [ 1.55 MB]
- Independent Review of the Australian Government’s Regulatory Impact Analysis Process - Preliminary Government Response [ 240 kB]
- Independent Review of the Australian Government’s Regulatory Impact Analysis Process - Preliminary Government Response [ 66 kB]
- RIA Review Terms of Reference
Contact for information on this page: Deregulation Policy