Comcover Insurance Policy
Part 1. Overview of Comcover
1.1 A self-managed fund for insurable risks
Since its inception on 1 July 1998, Comcover has been a vital part of the Australian Government’s vision to champion an insurance and risk management culture within its agencies and organisations. Comcover represents an innovative and cost-effective way of managing and funding Commonwealth public sector insurable risks. Through the payment of premiums to Comcover, the budgets of Australian Government departments and statutory authorities are protected from the major costs that can arise from claims associated with insurable risks.
1.2 Helps members manage risks better
Comcover also provides the necessary tools to enable Fund Members to be better risk managers. It does this by educating members about risk management and, in particular, how to identify, assess and treat risk.
The benefits for Fund Members and the Australian Government are:
- protection of organisations and programs against unexpected insurable losses
- greater transparency and accountability in the management of the Australian Government’s insurable risks
- the reduction, over time, in the cost of insurable losses to the Budget
- a co-ordinated and uniform approach to the management of claims against the Australian Government.
1.3 Comcover Member Services
Comcover has outsourced the insurance account management and claims management functions to Gallagher Bassett Services Pty Ltd and they operate under the banner of Comcover Member Services (CMS). CMS is the principal point of contact between Comcover and its Fund Members for insurance and risk management advice and services. It provides Fund Members with such services as
- incident and claims recording
- claims management and payments
- calculation, notification and collection of member premiums
- general insurance and risk management advice and training
- insurable risk profiling services
- access to Comcover’s claims system.
Contact for information on this page: Contact Comcover Member Services