FedLink is an innovative and cost-effective solution for enabling secure communications between Australian Government agencies across the public infrastructure. It is a dynamic encryption mechanism which provides secure and trusted communications across the Internet. This allows the Commonwealth, State and Territory Government jurisdictions to transmit and receive information securely up to the security classification of PROTECTED.
On 15 April 2004, the Government directed all Financial Management and Accountability (FMA) agencies to protect their data transmissions by using FedLink or an equivalent protection system.
The Email Protective Marking Standard Implementation Guide for the Australian Government (Version 2012-1 May 2012) has been developed to assist agencies in implementing email protective markings in accordance with requirements of the Australian Government Protective Security Policy Framework (PSPF) released by the Attorney General's Department on 8 June 2011.
FedLink was designed using the IP Security (IPSec) international standard. FedLink creates authenticated, encrypted links between participating agencies to create a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) across the Internet. An accredited certificate authority (CA) provides digital certificates and the public key infrastructure (PKI) necessary for a scalable and manageable VPN. FedLink was designed to allow government agencies to securely share information conveniently and cost effectively.
Connecting to FedLink
The following is a high level overview of the steps required to join the FedLink network.
- Complete the application pack, available from the FedLink officer. By emailing email@example.com.
- In consultation with the FedLink Service Provider (FSP) design the FedLink connection.
- Enter in to contract with the FSP.
- Purchase, configure and install routers.
- Agency is listed on the FedLink secure website.
- Attorney General’s Department
- Australian Government Protective Security Policy Framework (PSPF)
- Australian Signals Directorate
- Australian Government Information and Communications Technology Security Manual (ISM)
- Fedlink Secure Website - Please note – This website is only accessible to agencies that are already connected to FedLink.
Phone: [+61] 02 6215 1800
Telecommunication services provided by GNSB are in accordance with procurement requirements under the Internet Based Network Connection (IBNC) Services Panel as part of the framework for the Australian Government Telecommunications Arrangements.
Contact for information on this page: FedLinkEnquiries@finance.gov.au
Last updated: 12 August 2016