Cost-effectively enabling secure communications between Government agencies
On 15 April 2004, the Government directed all Financial Management and Accountability (FMA) agencies to protect their data transmissions by using FedLink or an equivalent protection system.
FedLink is an innovative and cost-effective solution for enabling secure communications between Australian Government agencies across the public infrastructure. It is a dynamic encryption mechanism, which provides secure and trusted communications across the Internet. This allows the Commonwealth, State and Territory Government jurisdictions to transmit and receive information securely up to the security classification of PROTECTED.
FedLink was designed using the IP Security (IPSec) international standard. FedLink creates authenticated, encrypted links between participating agencies to create a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) across the Internet. An accredited certificate authority (CA) provides digital certificates and the public key infrastructure (PKI) necessary for a scalable and manageable VPN. FedLink was designed to allow government agencies to share information securely with cost and maintenance advantages over an equivalent system which would require multiple leased lines between agencies.
Note: On 8 June 2011, the Protective Security Policy Framework (PSPF) was released by the Attorney General’s Department. The PSPF no longer differentiates between National and non National security classifications. The number of security classifications has been reduced from seven to four which are TOP SECRET – SECRET – CONFIDENTIAL – PROTECTED and five Dissemination Limiting Markers (DLM’s) have been introduced. These DLM’s are Sensitive, Sensitive: Cabinet, Sensitive: Legal, Sensitive: Personal and For Official Use Only (FOUO).
Connecting to FedLink
The following is a high level overview of the steps required to join the FedLink network.
- Complete the application pack, available from the FedLink officer.
- In consultation with the FedLink Service Provider (FSP) design the FedLink connection.
- Enter in to contract with the FSP.
- Purchase, configure and install routers.
- Agency is listed on the FedLink secure website.
- Attorney General’s Department
- Australian Government Protective Security Policy Framework (PSPF)
- Defence Signals Directorate Information Security
- Australian Government Information and Communications Technology Security Manual (ISM)
- Fedlink Secure Website - Please note – This website is only accessible to agencies that are already connected to FedLink.
Phone: [+61] 02 6215 1585
Fax: [+61] 02 6267 7424
Telecommunication services provided by GNSB are in accordance with procurement requirements under the Internet Based Network Connection (IBNC) Services Panel as part of the framework for the Australian Government Telecommunications Arrangements.
Contact for information on this page: FedLinkEnquiries@finance.gov.au