Our Graduate Program
We offer Australia's best and brightest graduates a challenging and rewarding start to their careers.
What can you expect?
As part of our award winning program, you will:
- Make a real contribution, through assisting government to provide high quality advice and services over a wide range of policy and program areas.
- Have the opportunity to work on diverse and varied projects critical to the government’s agenda.
- Work in a new state of the art building designed to enhance greater collaboration between staff.
- Receive a competitive starting salary, joining the department as an ongoing employee at the APS3 level and be paid $59,632 plus 15.4 per cent superannuation. You will also have the opportunity to apply for promotion to the APS4 and APS5 levels during your graduate year.
- Participate in learning and development opportunities and be given lots of quality training throughout your graduate year and beyond.
- Be supported by a Career and Professional Development Coordinator and a buddy who will ease your transition to the department. There are also networking opportunities with senior leaders and graduates from other agencies, as well as meeting our portfolio ministers.
- Be invited to join any of our networks, including a social club, Women's Network, Young Leaders' Network, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Staff Network, Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Intersex Plus Network, and a Diversity Network.
- Have access to a range of facilities and networks. Finance is committed to looking after its employees and you'll have access to an onsite gym, exercise classes and health programs.
Don't miss your chance to join the Department of Finance. Find out more about how you can be a part of our Graduate Development Program.
CPA (Certified Practicing Accountant) Recognition
Finance is accredited as a CPA Australia Recognised Employer to the Knowledge Level, the highest level. Finance was the first public sector employer in the ACT to gain this accreditation. This provides our finance and accounting staff that have a business requirement for a CPA qualification with resources and guidance to assist them.
CPA participants also benefit by having a simple alternative method to demonstrate adherence to the CPA program’s practical experience requirement and to demonstrate adherence to minimum continuing professional development standards. These are both mandatory components of the award.
How to apply
Applications for our 2017 Graduate Development Program open 25 February 2016 and close 5 April 2016.
In order to apply for our Graduate Development Program you must:
- be an Australian citizen, or provide evidence that you will be granted Australian citizenship before the program commences
- have maintained at least a credit average throughout your university degree
- be completing your final year of study in 2016 or have completed your degree in the last five years (i.e. completed your study no earlier than 2012)
- be willing to relocate to Canberra.
Apply online and, if your initial application is successful, have the chance to complete online assessments and possibly visit one of our assessment centres to meet with our team.
For more information, contact the graduate recruitment team on the details below.
Call us on (02) 6215 1770
Email us at L&DEntryLevelPrograms@finance.gov.au
Last updated: 27 July 2016