What Does Finance Do?
The Department of Finance (Finance) is a central agency in the Australian Public Service and plays a significant role in many areas of the government's agenda.
One of our key responsibilities is supporting the delivery of the Australian Government Budget, but our work extends well beyond managing government expenditure. Some of the areas we manage and provide advice on include:
- the government's non-defence domestic property portfolio
- key asset sales
- the government's financial framework
- entitlements for parliamentarians and their employees
- Government Business Enterprises
- general insurance services to other government agencies
- risk management
- whole-of-government procurement
- public sector reform
It's an exciting time to join Finance. We are embarking on a programme of internal change that will modernise the way we do business. We are seeking to be a modern public service agency that is agile, responsive and connected.
Find out more about the Department of Finance.
Last updated: 24 February 2015