Business Enabling Services
Business Enabling Services (BES) works with the Secretary, Executive Board and other business groups within the Department to enhance, promote and sustain Finance's role as a trusted and professional adviser to the government.
BES also provides current parliamentarians and their staff (approximately 1,850), and former Senators and Members, with a range of facilities and services.
Deputy Secretary: David Fredericks
Phone: (02) 6215 2566
Ministerial and Parliamentary Services (M&PS)
First Assistant Secretary: Leonie McGregor
Phone: (02) 6215 3711
Ministerial and Parliamentary Services (M&PS) provides Ministers, Senators, Members and Office-holders and former Parliamentarians and their respective employees employed under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 with a range of facilities and services to assist them in undertaking their duties.
These services include:
- access to, and payment of, entitlements
- advice and support to Parliamentarians on a range of entitlements issues
- provision of electorate office facilities
- travel and accommodation entitlement support
- personnel-related services
- COMCAR and VIP hire car services
- management of the Ministerial Wing of Parliament House
- secretariat support to the Australian Political Exchange Council.
Assistant Secretary: Kim Baker
Phone: (02) 6215 1372
Entitlements Policy is responsible for policy development and advice in relation to Senators and Members' entitlements, and the employment framework for their staff.
Entitlements Policy provides advice to the Special Minister of State and other stakeholders in M&PS on policy matters relating to the various pieces of legislation administered by the Department. It also liaises with the Remuneration Tribunal Secretariat in the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations in relation to the development of, and changes to, determinations affecting the entitlements of Senators and Members.
There is approximately 1850 staff of Senators and Members throughout Australia and the Branch is responsible for developing and delivering their employment framework, in consultation with other relevant agencies and the staff themselves. In addition, the Branch organises the Special Minister of State's professional development program and other HR services for this workforce.
The Branch works closely with all other areas of M&PS in developing and advising on policy matters.
The Branch also provides secretariat support for the Australian Political Exchange Council, which provides an international exchange program for young political leaders.
Assistant Secretary: Jason Ford
Phone: (02) 6215 3403
The Entitlements Management Branch provides the communication link between M&PS and its clients. Our clients include current and former Federal Parliamentarians and their staff.
Entitlements Management Branch's key responsibilities include:
- providing advice to its portfolio Ministers regarding Senators and Members' access to entitlements – particularly the Special Minister of State
- advising Senators, Members and their employees on entitlement issues
- providing electorate-based facilities and services to Senators and Members, including office accommodation and equipment and vehicles
- managing the provision of services in the Ministerial Wing of Parliament House and the Commonwealth Parliament Offices in State/Territory capital cities.
- Dee Kaufline (VIC, TAS & NT) Ph: (02) 6215 3640
- Lauren Barons (NSW, WA & ACT) Ph: (02) 6215 3426
- Shane McGaughey (QLD & SA) Ph: (02) 6215 3827
Assistant Secretary: Michael Frost (Acting)
Phone: (02) 6215 3709
Client Services provides a range of claims processing and support services to Senators, Members, former Parliamentarians and their employees.
Client Services key responsibilities include:
- the provision of payroll and associated services to MOP(S) employees
- payments made to and on behalf of Parliamentarians and their employees in accordance with the entitlements framework
- help desk support for MOP(S) employees
- reporting on entitlements usage
- management of the IT support systems used by M&PS for delivering services to clients
- management of M&PS web content.
Assistant Secretary: Greg Miles
Phone: (02) 6215 3598
Co-ordinates M&PS’ internal checking program, ensuring alignment with the Finance Internal Audit Program.
Undertakes preliminary assessment of entitlement misuse referrals.
Assistant Secretary: Brent Heaver
Phone: (02) 6280 1010
COMCAR assists in delivering an efficiently functioning Parliament through the provision of high quality, secure and confidential car-with-driver services to a broad range of entitled clients, including the Governor-General, the Prime Minister, other Office Holders, Senators and Members and Members of the Federal Judiciary.
COMCAR provides ground transport and associated services to visiting Guests of Government such as Royalty, Heads of State, Heads of Government and other foreign dignitaries. COMCAR frequently delivers ground transportation services to major international events, such as the Group of Twenty meetings (G20), the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) and other Ministerial forums hosted in Australia.
COMCAR can provide or arrange services in all metropolitan and country areas. Reservations for COMCAR services can be made 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
First Assistant Secretary: Mary Balzary
Phone: (02) 6215 2575
Corporate Services supports the achievement of Finance's outcomes by providing strategic advice to the Secretary and Executive Board on corporate governance and departmental administration. Corporate Services provides services to the department including portfolio coordination, parliamentary liaison, human resource services, learning and development, communications and public affairs support, and knowledge management. Corporate Services also provides home department support to Finance's portfolio ministers.
Assistant Secretary: Patricia Hawley
Phone: (02) 6215 3735
Legal Services reports directly to the First Assistant Secretary and provides the Department of Finance with in-house legal advice and assistance including on:
- commercial and public law matters,
- assistance in the management of litigation,
- drafting commercial and other instruments; and
- co-ordination of FOI and Finance Legislative Instruments.
Also, in consultation with their Business Group clients, they arrange for legal advice and assistance to be provided by Finance's panel of external legal service providers (the Legal Panel).
Assistant Secretary: Rachael Jackson
Phone: (02) 6215 2021
Phone: 6215 3937
People delivers a range of human resource services to the department including:
- recruitment and payroll services
- advice and support on employee relations and conditions
- work health & safety services
- assisting the department to imbed its strategic goals through workforce planning, staff surveys and targeted recruitment programs (including the Graduate program
- advice and support on HR policy and programs
- management and provision of learning and development opportunities
For more information, feel free to contact the friendly staff at the HR Shopfront.
Chief Financial Officer
Assistant Secretary, Chief Financial Officer: Steven Momcilovic (Acting)
Phone: (02) 6215 3825
Chief Financial Officer (CFO) contributes towards the outcomes of the Department by providing reliable and timely financial information that supports decision making and seeks to drive improved organisational performance. The key products and services of CFO are as follows:
- Reporting, covering: EB monthly financial management, monthly financial reporting, financial statements, general ledger management and accounting policy.
- Budgets, covering: capital planning, external and internal budgeting, review of new initiatives, major reforms, business planning and small agency monitoring.
- Group Financial Advice, covering: monthly financial management reports and advice to Business Groups, preparation of Group budgets and costings, accounting journals and the co-ordination of ad hoc financial requirements across business groups.
- Financial Operations, covering: accounts processing, payroll, cash flow and appropriation management, banking, expenses, petty cash, Cabcharge, credit cards, taxation, asset management and journals.
Communications and Public Affairs
Assistant Secretary: Suzanne Russel
Phone: (02) 6215 2455
The Communications and Public Affairs team provides advice and support to our Ministers and the Department on a range of activities including strategic communications, media management, publications and corporate events.
Parliamentary and Coordination
Assistant Secretary: Carolyn Driessen
Phone: (02) 6215 3544
Parliamentary and Coordination provides an integral link to the Parliament and our Portfolio Ministers. We deliver advice and support to enable our ministers, the department and portfolio agencies to fulfil their responsibilities to the Parliament.
In performing this role, Parliamentary and Coordination is responsible for a range of activities including delivery of the following services:
- Managing the Parliamentary Workflow System (PWS)
- Senate Estimates co-ordination
- Parliamentary liaison
- Cabinet liaison
- Home department support for our ministers
Parliamentary and Coordination also provides a central coordinating role for Finance and other agencies in the Portfolio.
Chief Information Officer and First Assistant Secretary: Michael Hirschfeld
Phone: (02) 6215 2125
Information, Technology and Workplace reflects the synergies between information services, IT and business services. This enables us to support the development of an information management strategy, our future accommodation strategy and the delivery of the Roadmap, as well as fostering a more streamlined delivery of services within our workplace.
Assistant Secretary: Dean Edwards (Acting)
Phone: (02) 6215 2250
Service Delivery is responsible for the management and delivery of current Services to meet the Department’s needs through the provision of a stable and secure IT environment.
The areas of service are:
- Providing a single point of contact for all key Finance systems, including CBMS and CBMSR for support matters, including user access, incident management, and usage assistance;
- Maintaining and supporting the Department's existing business systems;
- Delivering network server support, data and storage management and management of the Standard Operating Environment (SOE) and responsibility for the maintenance and management of Finance’s ICT infrastructure; and
- Enabling business objectives by protecting Finance IT infrastructure from threats and risks, through the provision of ICT security and advice in relation to ICT security and monitoring of ICT system use.
Assistant Secretary: Tim Brunton (Acting)
Phone: (02) 6215 3334
Professional Services is responsible for the provision of high quality and cost effective professional services to Finance through:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with clients and managing an effective and efficient process for new services required by the business;
- Ensuring business requirements are translated into technical specifications and the right business solution is delivered;
- Ensuring the appropriate Enterprise Architecture is in place to support Finance’s ongoing and changing business requirements, including the development and implementation of a Finance Information Management strategy;
- Providing leading practice quality assurance and testing support;
- Providing leading practice program and project management services;
- Developing and maintaining IT policies and methodologies; and
- Providing the appropriate level of IT Continuity to support the Department’s business continuity requirements.
Assistant Secretary: Jeff Kitchener (Acting)
Phone: (02) 6215 2994
The Place Stream will deliver a modern work environment, supporting contemporary working styles and improving communications and collaboration for staff and clients. A key focus will be the collocation of Finance staff into a single tenancy at One Canberra Avenue, with some limited but important exceptions:
- COMCAR will still require facilities at Dairy Flat Road – a purpose built fleet management facility that provides secure storage for the COMCAR fleet; and
- Government Network Services will still require secure storage facilities for security-related IT infrastructure.
In delivering a modern, adaptable and agile working environment Place Stream will ensure the building design meets the Department’s requirements for a more modern work environment that supports flexibility in the way we work. This will be achieved through the high quality fit out and furniture and range of meeting rooms and collaboration spaces to compliment the new operating model. Place Stream will also ensure the design meets our obligations for workplace health and safety, and accessibility.
Finance Transformation Taskforce
First Assistant Secretary: Linda Powell
Phone: (02) 6215 3310
The Finance Transformation Taskforce will deliver the Finance’s Transformation Programme to position the department to more efficiently respond to the evolving needs of government. The Transformation Programme will change the department’s operating model, which will be supported by changes in the way the department manages its people, information and technology.
Assistant Secretary: Simon Teschendorf
Phone: (02) 6215 2939
The Business Transformation Stream will guide the Transformation Programme by designing the future state for the department. The Business Transformation Stream is developing the new operating model and organisational structure for the long term and will implement these in a phased approach.
People and Projects Office (PPO)
Assistant Secretary: Annie Ryan (Acting)
Phone: (02) 6215 3290
The People and Projects Office is responsible for department’s Project and Resource management approach.
Assistant Secretary: Brooke Everett
Phone: (02) 6215 2021
People Strategy will design the workforce strategies and processes to support the Transformation Programme from a people management perspective.
Last updated: 09 June 2016